The purpose of this policy statement is to let you know what information may be collected about you by Deliberately Engaging when you contact us, visit our website or use our services. This statement also explains how this information is used, how we protect your privacy, and what your rights are.
Who we are
Deliberately Engaging is a specialist engagement consultancy that partners with state and local governments, businesses, member-organisations and institutions to support decision-makers create more accountable, capable and effective institutions through participatory, inclusive and responsive engagement strategies.
What we do
Deliberately Engaging designs and delivers processes for:
deliberative engagement; online engagement; employee engagement; stakeholder and community engagement; and capability building.
What law governs privacy
The rights and responsibilities of persons in respect to the collection, use, storage and disclosure or personal information is regulated by the Privacy Act 1988. (The “Act”).
The Act sets out privacy principles. A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.aoic.gov.au
What is ‘personal Information’
Personal Information is defined in the Act. Personal information includes a broad range of information, or an opinion, that could identify an individual.
What is ‘sensitive information’
‘Sensitive information’ is defined in the Act. Sensitive information is a class of personal information.
Why we collect personal information
We collect your personal Information in order to recruit and undertake engagement processes. It is often important that we know a bit about you in order for us design consultation processes that comprise participants representative of your community. We also collect your personal information to be able to make contact with you during your involvement, where it is necessary and appropriate to do so.
How we collect personal information
From time to time you may voluntarily supply your personal information to Deliberately Engaging. Your personal information may be collected by Deliberately Engaging through one of our websites; social media; telephone; email; in person; or in writing. Personal Information may also be obtained from you via Survey Monkey when you register to be involved in a deliberative process and from third parties, including third parties who commission Deliberately Engaging and third parties who hold large-scale database.
The type of personal information we may collect
Depending upon the circumstances, you may provide to Deliberately Engaging and Deliberately Engaging may collect, personal information such as, but not limited to:
your contact details;
your marital status;
your educational qualifications;
your bank account details; and
your inquiry (or complaint) details.
Some personal information you may provide Deliberately Engaging and Deliberately Engaging may collect may be sensitive information.
Sensitive information we may collect and use includes, for example:
your racial or ethnic origin;
your sexual orientation;
your philosophical beliefs;
your political opinions; and/or
any disabilities, illnesses or injuries you may have.
Our commitment to you
Deliberately Engaging will:
– take reasonable steps to adhere to practices, procedures and systems that protect your rights to privacy and, in particular, to protect personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure;
– only collect, store, use and disclose personal information that is reasonably necessary for Deliberately Engaging to perform its functions;
– wherever reasonably practicable, collect your personal information directly from you and explain to you why we are collecting personal information and how we plan to use it;
– where provided with personal information by third parties, take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the fact, circumstances and purposes of the collection, the contact details of Deliberately Engaging, and how you may view a copy of this policy statement;
– only use any sensitive information you have chosen to provide us for the primary purpose for which you provided it unless a secondary purposes is closely related to the primary purpose in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure or you have given us your consent;
– take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we use or disclose is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant, stored in a secure environment, and only accessed by authorised persons;
– take reasonable steps to destroy personal information in a secure manner once it is no longer needed for any purpose; and
– provide access to personal information where Deliberately Engaging is satisfied that a request for personal information is made by the individual concerned.
Our web server makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
the user’s server address;
the user’s top-level domain name (e.g. .com, .gov, .net, .au, etc.);
the date and time of the visit to the site;
the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
the previous site visited; and
the type of browser used.
Deliberately Engaging will not attempt to identify users or their browsing activities except where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the internet service provider’s logs.
Our expectations of you
By providing personal information to Deliberately Engaging you consent to its being used to enable Deliberately Engaging to undertake its functions and activities.
By providing personal information to Deliberately Engaging you also consent to your information being stored and processed on a data server or data servers (eg. cloud services) owned by a third party or third parties that may be located outside of Australia.
While Deliberately Engaging strives to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from our website. These activities are conducted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites and social media pages including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of the entities responsible for those websites and we recommend that you review the privacy policies applicable to any other websites you visit.
Access to your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and update and/or correct it. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
Deliberately Engaging Pty Ltd
Deliberately Engaging Pty Ltd